Activities in Science – Technology (The Faculty of Engineering Mechanics and Automation)
The most popular areas of research include:
- Engineering Mechanics and Automation
- Hydro-pneumatic Industrial and Environmental issues
- Marine Engineering Mechanics
- Technical Diagnosis
- Mechanics of materials and composite structure
- Aerospace Technology
The model of University – Research Institute has been attached great importance by many universities. However, the implementation of this model has posed quite a few challenges. From the early days of its establishment, the University of Engineering and Technology has paid proper attention to the combination of the university and research institutes. Professor Nguyễn Văn Hiệu, the first rector of UET, was the among the pioneers to carry out the policy on connecting the University with Research Institutes and enterprises. This is also the Party and Government’s policy to promote the nation’s internal resources for the development of science and technology. As an enthusiastic follower, Professor Nguyễn Hữu Đức has proposed the concept of “Faculty under co-management” and “Laboratory under co-management”. Accordingly, the Faculty of Engineering Mechanics and Automation has worked closely with Institute for Engineering Mechanics, Industrial Machinery and Instruments Holding (IMI) and Space Technology Institute. Thanks to this, the Faculty’s lecturers and researchers are provided with easy access to the multi-faceted laboratories owned by the University of Engineering & Technology and those owned by the partnership organizations including Laboratory for Industrial Hydraulics, Laboratory for Technical Diagnosis of Structures, Laboratory for Mechanics, Laboratory for Environmental Studies, with sufficient equipment for measuring and field survey, calculation devices and mechanical calculation programs which can be applied in different fields such as Construction Mechanics and Mechanics of Machine, River, Sea and Air Mechanics, Industrial Hydraulics and Environment, Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Environmental Technology.
There are a number of professors working as researchers at the Faculty including: Prof. D.Sc. Nguyễn Đông Anh, Prof. D.Sc. Ngô Huy Cẩn, Prof. D.Sc. Nguyễn Văn Điệp, Prof. D.Sc. Dương Ngọc Hải, Prof. D.Sc. Nguyễn Tiến Khiêm, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyễn Đình Đức, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hoàng Văn Lai, Prof. D.Sc. Nguyễn Cao Mệnh, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ngô Sỹ Lộc, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Phan Xuân Minh, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Đào Như Mai, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ngô Hương Nhu, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Đỗ Ngọc Quỳnh.
Outstanding scientific – technological activities recently implemented include:
– Organizing scientific research as parts of multi-level research activities
– Organizing and promoting research-related activities such as supervising students’ research or graduation papers, theses and dissertations.
– Organizing seminars to introduce new approaches in scientific research and to present research findings.
– Cooperating with Korea Foundation for International Cooperation of Science and Technology on human resource exchange (currently there are two KICOS experts working at Faculty of Engineering Mechanics and Automation)
– Cooperating with international academic institutions on the basis of co-supervisors for M.S students and Ph.D candidates (France, South Korea, Germany)
– Cooperating with School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (Seoul National University, Korea) on admission and scholarship-granting at graduate level
– Establishing and promoting international cooperation via domestic and international conferences, academic exchange programs with research teams in South Korea, Japan, Czech Republic and other universities in the world.